Once you have setup your blog, you will be happily started to post materials to your blog.
Initially the traffic will be minimal. Once the traffic starts to increase, you will have some comment posted on your blog by the readers. This will make you even happier as of now you have some feedback.
Very soon you will find that there are some comments that are not related to your postings. Some of these comments are just fill with links, .political or religious statements or foul languages. These are known as comment spam.
As a blogger , we are responsible for what is posted on our blog. Whether it is by ourself or by our blog readers. Therefore for best practice, we must check through the comments before we allow it to be published. If the comment spams are a lot then it become a tedious chore to delete it one by one.
I have found a plugin known as WP-SpamFree that will help to monitor the comments and blocked those comments classify as spam. In this way, I will have minimal number of comments to check and save my precious time. I found this plugin is effective and is even better than Akismet ( This is also another plugin to detect comment spam)
Features of the WP-Spam plugin
1. It provides a counter on your dashboard.
2. No need to have CAPTCHA’s challenge installed. Note: Some of the CAPTCHA method which is complex has turn off some readers from posting comment.
3. Includes drop-in spam-free contact form. Easy to use — no configuration necessary.
4. A reliable and effective comment spam detection system.
5. Easy to install & configure.
6. Completely compatible with all cache plugins, including WP Cache and WP Super Cache. Not all anti-spam plugins can say that.
7. The best thing is that this plugin is free. However you are welcome to offer a donation.
You can download the plugin at
Install & configure
Unzip the plugin and upload to your blog’s plugin folder.
Go to your blog’s plugin and activate it.
Click on Plugin and look for WP-Spamfree.
Click on Activate.
Also you will see Settings.
Click on Settings to configure it or alternatively you can take the default settings.